Hi guys~
Okay, this is going to be my shortest post so far because, let’s be honest, I don’t really know what to write about it. And I don’t like it. One of the topics I have to write about for university is style and register. My question now: HOW do you write about something like this?!
I guess I just have to try.
Okay, this is going to be my shortest post so far because, let’s be honest, I don’t really know what to write about it. And I don’t like it. One of the topics I have to write about for university is style and register. My question now: HOW do you write about something like this?!
I guess I just have to try.
In the English language there are two types of
register: the formal and the informal. The formal register is used in writing
business letters or emails, also in serious papers and scientific books and
reports. The formal register is without any use of contractions or informal
words. Let me give you an example:
This book was, like, 10 bucks.
I purchased this book at the price of ten dollars.
So the first one is informal and the second one is
formal. It’s perfectly okay to use the word “bucks” in an informal conversation
with your friends or family but if you have a serious conversation with your
boss or teacher you would never talk like this. Better not.
It’s the same for spoken and written language. The
formal register is more to be found in audio books, documentaries or news, for
example on the radio. In TV shows, videogames or movies you can hear the
informal way of speaking more often than the formal one.
Here is a video I found which explains the formal and
informal writing styles. It’s actually really good, the best one I’ve found on
the net.
Okay, I hope this wasn’t too boring and too short, I just don’t really know what to write about this anymore. By the way, which register am I using in my blog?
Okay, I hope this wasn’t too boring and too short, I just don’t really know what to write about this anymore. By the way, which register am I using in my blog?
Yes right,
So, hope you learned something new from this post
although you definitely knew everything before.
BYE BYE~
No comments:
Post a Comment