Hi guys!
Today I’m going to write about vocabulary once again. I want to talk about learning strategies because I have to think of some for myself and, maybe, it might help you as well!
Today I’m going to write about vocabulary once again. I want to talk about learning strategies because I have to think of some for myself and, maybe, it might help you as well!
So we have to study over 700 words over the christmas break *cough yea right, break! haha cough* and I have to think of some ways to study them. But my problem is, if I start too early, I forget them before the exam! So what would I do with those 700 words?
Our next exam will be an oral exam, so we have to know the pronunciation of all those words. First of all, I would read the word out loud. I also thought of writing a glossary for myself. Yes, it’s going to take forever but it’s worth it! In this glossary I would write down a definition of this word, a synonym and an antonym. Once I’m done with writing this huge glossary, I would sort out the words I know and the words I don’t know. I would start with learning the words I don’t know, obviously, and work my way up to the words I know, always reading them out loud.
I know this is going to be a veeeeery long procedure, but we have to do it and I WILL do it! YES! I have to motivate myself somehow.
So what I will try to do this time is to use flipcharts. I haven’t tried it out yet but I think it might help to remember the words better. I am also going to use vocabulary.com because I am hopelessly in love with it.
But the next problem is that we have to learn academic vocabulary as well. Well, we would have to learn it for ourselves anyway because we have to write academic papers and abstracts and this kind of formal academic stuff. So I have started reading some academic papers to get a feeling for the formal language. Sometimes it’s really hard to understand but if you sit down and focus on the paper it works. Another cool thing is the Porter book we are using in class. It has awesome example sentences and exercises which are not too hard or sophisticated. I enjoy working with this book.
I guess vocabulary learning preferences differ from person to person. I think I will pass the exam if I sit down and study a few words every day. It wouldn’t be a wise thing to study the day before the exam this time because it’s over 700 words, you’d go crazy. So now all I need is discipline and time.
Good luck to any SuK students out there, we can do it!!!
Thanks for reading!
Bye!
Bye!



No comments:
Post a Comment