When studying languages, it’s very important to keep adding
new words to your vocabulary and study them efficiently. For me, was
practically impossible to study vocabulary and actually remember it for a long
time. That was until I started working with an awesome website called
vocabulary.com.
For me, the best way to study vocabulary used to be to
write it down and read it out loud. If I see and hear a word, it’s easier for
me to remember it. But just writing down the word without learning its definition
doesn’t really make any sense because you won’t know what it means and in which
context it is commonly used. Thank goodness for vocabulary.com. I absolutely
love this site, users can do so much with words. You can make your own lists
and then take little “quizzes”, where, four synonyms are shown and you have to
pick the correct one. Sometimes, there will be a short paragraph with a missing
word. You have to type in the word correctly after listening to it, which means
you are studying its pronunciation and how it’s written at the same time, which
is very helpful. Whenever you make the right choice or type in the correct word,
you get points. The more points you get, the higher your ranking in the high
score is, where people from all over the world compete against each other. People
like me find this motivating. Vocabulary.com can also be used as a regular
online dictionary, featuring not only definitions but also great example
sentences taken containing that word from up-to-date articles on the web.
Another awesome thing about this website is that you
can clearly see which words you have “mastered”, and which are not yet perfectly
clear to you. You can earn badges/achievements (see the screenshot for
examples), which you can collect and brag about to your friends and classmates.
Learning vocabulary this way is in fact very motivating and productive.
What I wouldn’t recommend (based on my personal experience) is studying from a book or just repeating vocabulary lists until you are blue in the face. The words are harder to remember that way and in most cases you still won’t really understand in which context each particular word is used. It’s also hard to remember anything you have learned from a list after a while, whereas you can always repeat the little tests on vocabulary.com, which is much more entertaining and useful for you. Best of all, like I mentioned before, you can create your own vocabulary lists with selected words from, for example, vocabulary lists you have to study for the next exam, or just new words you encounter while reading a book or while researching for your paper!
In my opinion, using vocabulary.com is absolutely the
best way to learn and understand new words. I remember words for a much longer
time after “mastering” them and if I don’t know a word I can just look it up on
the same website which instantly provides great definitions and plenty of
example sentences. Such well-designed tools make the whole learning process
much easier and a fun experience, not exhausting like studying from a book.
Through interactive exercises, you actually get to do something with the new
words and don’t have to learn them by heart as you would do with a list. I highly
recommend this website to any English learner. In my eyes, there is no better
way of learning vocabulary!

I'm also a fan of vocabulary.com, mostly because I enjoy their humor. And I think the way they quiz you is really efficient as opposed to learning a translation or definition.
ReplyDelete